Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Toolbox

This is a box that I have had lying around half-finished for a couple of months. I made the box myself sometime before Christmas, but have been waiting for at friend to make me some nails.

Yesterday I recieved them in the mail and spent the evening drilling holes and hammering in the nails.

Now I have a nice sturdy toolbox!



The box is made from beech (Fagus sylvatica). A very common tree here in Denmark.



The design came from a chest that I saw at mittelalter möbel, so I´m guessing that the technique is somewhat authentic. Although it isn't based on a particular find.

I really liked this project because it´s (almost) the first wood-working project that I have done. And thus I learned a lot from it. Now I just hope to get to do some more of this type of woodwork! Eventhough most of the sawing and planeing was done using modern powertools I sawed and chiseled the dovetails by hand.

Now I just need to fill it with tools :-)

6 comments:

  1. Nicely done.
    I was just wondering how did you fit in the bottom? With nails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used wooden dowels.
    I guess i should have cut a mortise all around the edge of the bottom piece, so it would fit more tightly in to the bottom of the box... but i only thought about that afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also wondering how you attached the bottom. Good to know! I really like the way the splines are visible in the lid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    The hinges at the Box, where do you get them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them myself. Cold wrought from mild steel. As far as I remember, they were not that hard to make.

      But you can get hinges like them from Tibberup Høkeren in Helsingør or from any blacksmith.

      Delete